Allergen Free Eating


So, it's been over a month now since I found out I have a bunch of food allergies and for the time being decided to cut gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and cane sugar from my diet. In the beginning, that list was daunting. I mean, what doesn't include at least ONE of those things!

People keep asking me what I'm eating. So here are a few things that have really helped me and actually made me excited about how many wonderful things out there that I can still eat.

I signed up for Sun Basket, a meal delivery service uses all organic foods with a farm to table model. Sun Basket didn't pay me to write this, but if you click here and use my referral code, you get three free meals and I get $25 :) I feel like enough bloggers have posted about meal delivery services, so I'll spare you the details about how great it is in general and say that Sun Basket specifically has been awesome for me because many of their meals are paleo and/or gluten, dairy, soy free. So for someone who's been overwhelmed with the idea of what to eat, it's been great to see a large variety of meals that not only fit with my diet, but are fairly healthy and amazing regardless of how you eat. Also, since I'm cooking it myself, if there's a recipe that almost works within my diet, it's worked for me to switch out a small amount of butter for olive oil, etc.

Heather Christo has also been a great source of amazing meal ideas as well. I made this salad for a party and had everyone asking for the recipe! And that's what really makes me happy, when I can make healthier options that are still amazing to feed to other people and not have anyone be sad that it's lacking cheese or sugar or, well you get the idea. A few other recipes of hers that I've loved...

One Pot Pumpkin Pasta 

Lamb Chickpea and Apricot Stew

Gingerbread Sweet Potato Doughnuts 

The best part about all of this is that it's really pushed me in the direction of making my lifestyle healthier all around (and yes, I realize this sentence is somewhat ironically located just after a link to a doughnut recipe). I'm back into a routine of going to yoga and am actively trying out other things, taking vitamins, meditation, etc. to continue to make things better and I can feel the difference. I have more energy, this is helping me deal with my stress and am feeling less seasonally depressed.

Image above is one of my favorite meals from Sun Basket


No comments