Thoughts on Love...



Happy Valentines Day!

I remember HATING this holiday in middle school and high school, when my friends had boys who liked them and I was so AWKWARD and thought no one would ever like me. I know I'm lucky that I didn't have to wait long and I met Jason when we were 18. Looking back on it, we were so young! For us, it worked that we grew up together. In some ways we have been very lucky, blessed (even though I feel cheesy using that word, it's true)  in other ways, we've worked hard at it! Regardless, at this point we've been together FOREVER so I feel like I actually have the qualifications to speak as somewhat of an expert on the topic of love.

The most important thing I could tell ANYONE about love is that it's not a feeling.

LOVE.
IS.
A.
CHOICE.

Love is waking up every morning and choosing to want to be with the person you're committed to, even if they're being grumpy. Because when it's love, you can trust that they'll do the same for you when the roles reverse. Love is a verb, it's an action and sometimes it's something you have to remind yourself to do when life isn't feeling like the ending of a rom com. Love is something you have to work at. Fluttery feelings come and go. Love sticks around.


Lastly, as much as I wish I could keep this entirely happy, I know that's not where everyone is at in their relationship. Some require more work, and some just won't work. If you're not feeling like the relationship you're in is the right place for you, to remember that sometimes we need to choose to love ourselves and sometimes walking away is the right answer. It takes two people choosing to love to make the relationship work.

Photo by Zoe Rain, Behind the Scenes on Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You"


2 comments

  1. You nailed love, Jenny, the good and the not so good! When you've been together 42 years, it'll feel like a well-oiled machine (fake news quote) or a comfortable old shoe. For some reason I love Ed's new song because it reminds me of new love and also continuing, old love! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed love, Jenny, the good and the not so good! When you've been together 42 years, it'll feel like a well-oiled machine (fake news quote) or a comfortable old shoe. For some reason I love Ed's new song because it reminds me of new love and also continuing, old love! ❤️

    ReplyDelete